T R A V E L L U S - F R E Q U E N T U S

navigate using the bars above, pink for main blog content

No money, no honey.
10:47 PM - Monday, January 25, 2010


"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping." - Bo Derek

Today, my bank account told me I had exactly $124.91 left, & FYI, this is my only bank account. I ought to be worried, but I have seen worse days (-_-") Many years ago, there used to be a 4-figured sum sitting comfortably inside until a spur of vanity had me walking through the doors of Andrew Tan's clinic to get blepharoplasty. Then, I worked to raise a sum of money for a Thailand trip, & subsequently wiped the rest out while backpacking in Europe (& I still owe my mum $, help!). Also, my one and only source of income is unpredictable, so when can money start pouring in?

People say money is the root of all evil and money can't, in essence, buy happiness. But I beg to differ. Call me materialistic, but as far as I remember, money had made me a very happy person indeed. I forgot the countless times I had heated debates with friends regarding this issue. Some of my friends who was into the romanticism notion told me that money can't buy love...so I argued that money = shopping = material love = love; money = popularity = attention = admiration = love; money = presents for your loved ones = appreciation from your loved ones = love; money = friends = friendship = love...& so on. Then they said, Yeah, but it can't buy you TRUE love. But, what might be your definition of true love may not be mine, nor another person's.

To me, there is nothing that can't be bought by money except time (sad!). However, if you were to ask me this question 10 years ago, that answer would include both time and love. In Mel's dictionary.com, lovey dovey love does not exist in this world, & is forever even worth mentioning? Call me a cynic, but in this day and age, money talks, and "no money, no talk". To emphasize more:

1) Money could buy you holidays. Wanderlust? No problem, book yourself a ticket with Mastercard. Feeling adventurous? No problem, buy yourself 6 months off work to travel around Europe, States, Asia etc. Jaded?No problem, a weekend spa trip to rejuvenate yourself. Holiday with a loved one? Money can buy you both a trip. For myself, money could buy me 4 months off for a road trip in a caravan around the States. Woo Hoo! (reality check please, Miss Leong.)

2) Money could buy you friends. Birthdays? Money allows you buy a perfect present your friend would love. Financial woes? Money could help you aid a friend in need. Gatherings? Money enables you guys to engage in fun activities. Broke? You don't even feel like going out, so tell me, how do you build friendships?

3) Money could buy you attention and fame. Just look at Paris Hilton.

4) Money could buy you materialism. The new Iphone? Check. MacBook Air? Check. Diamonds? Check. Fancy cars? Check. Mansion with 20 rooms, a bowling alley and an ice-cream fountain? Check check check.

5) Money could buy you beauty which later translates into confidence. Just look at the Koreans with their plastic surgery, & a certain blogger whose name starts with the D.

6) Finally, money could buy you love. With money, you look more attractive than you really are. That is why there are unions like Mariah & Nick, Madonna & Jesus, Tiger & Elin + his countless women, Michael & Catherine, Trump &Melania...and the list goes on. Though love that is bought are often deemed as superficial, there's a glimmer of chance where the love can turn genuine, as the fundamental need for security (a roof over your head, money to sustain yourself) is already being met and you can have so much more. + Don't forget, love can grow. However, if you continually have financial woes, love will most certainly be lost.

So, money cannot buy you happiness? For crying out loud!
Quantcast

Thus, my stand is that money can buy you almost anything including happiness... Materialistic much? You can say so but I need money to survive & money to dream my big dreams...& until something or someone convincing wins me over, my one true love is still $.


1 comments (create) - (View)